Healthy Communities in the Seventh District
Healthy communities are those that “continuously create and improve physical and social environments and expand community resources that enable people to mutually support each other in performing all the functions of life and in developing to their maximum potential” (see health.gov and who.int). Since 2013, the Federal Reserve Bank of Chicago has been engaged in conversations on this topic, seeking to improve understanding and advance impact around the social determinants of health across the Seventh District.
The purpose of this page is to aggregate in one place:
- healthy communities activities carried out by the Community Development and Policy Studies Department at the Federal Reserve Bank of Chicago;
- related Federal Reserve conference summaries and publications;
- publications exploring alignment that exists between the Community Reinvestment Act and the Affordable Care Act; and
- links to learn more.
Below is a compilation of publications and conference materials relating to healthy communities in the Seventh District.
2018 - Building Healthy and Prosperous Neighborhoods in Cook County
Motivating Collaboration: The Convergence of Public Health and Community Development
2016 - Investing in Healthy Communities: Ideas to Action for Healthy People, Places and Planet
- Investing in Healthy Communities - Julie Willems Van Dijk
- A Vision for Healthy Rural Communities - Katie Wehr
- Investing in People Over the Life Course: Childhood - Douglas Jutte
- The Role of CDFIs in Building Quality Childcare - Salli Martyniak
- Investing in People Over the Life Course: Advancing Age - Susan Longworth
- Community Health Needs Assessment - Kristie Rauter Egge, Nan Taylor, Sarah Havens, Amy Mihm
Investing in Healthy Communities: Ideas to Action for Healthy People, Places, and Planet - A Conference Summary
2015 - Investing in Healthy Rural Communities: Harvesting the Power of People, Place and Partnerships
Investing in Healthy Rural Communities – Lessons Learned and Future Directions
2014 - Healthy Communities Milwaukee Regional Summit
Healthy Communities – Milwaukee
2013 - Chicago Regional Summit
The Converging Visions of Public Health and Community Development
ProfitWise News and Views: Exploring the Nexus Between the Community Reinvestment Act (CRA) and the Affordable Care Act (ACA)
Federal Reserve Bank of Dallas: Healthy Communities: A framework for meeting CRA Obligations (from the Federal Reserve Bank of Dallas)
ProfitWise News and Views: Exploring the Correlations between Health and Community Socioeconomic Status in Chicago
CDPS Blog: Redefining Rustbelt: Cross-City Perspectives on Connecting Health and Community Development
CDPS Blog: A New Tool for Measuring the Convergence of Community Development and Public Health
To learn more about healthy communities activities at other Federal Reserve Banks, visit: www.FedCommunities.org and search for "healthy communities."
To learn more about healthy communities resources and activities around the country, visit the Build Healthy Places Network.