Where do you go when you want to make a difference? At the Chicago Fed, you’ll be a part of something larger – not just supporting an institution critical to our nation’s economy, but also joining a people-focused culture that understands the importance of community.
Our paid summer internship program is a great opportunity to start your journey with us. Designed to give undergraduate and graduate students direct exposure to our operations, you’ll dive headfirst into our mission through project-oriented, hands-on assignments and professional development activities.
As a summer intern, you will work in one of our departments for 12 consecutive weeks starting in June. Here, you’ll be embedded in our culture and given the opportunity to make important contributions to our success through tactile assignments and projects. You’ll be part of a program that provides additional learning opportunities designed to strengthen your knowledge of our organization, grow your network and help you become the professional you want to become.
As an intern at the Chicago Fed, you can expect to:
- Gain valuable experience — Work on important and challenging projects that make a difference and solve for real business problems.
- Develop professionally — Participate in seminars, skill-building workshops and executive speaker series events throughout the Internship Program.
- Join an inclusive culture – Become part of a talented workforce that values people and community.
- Give back – Participate in our mission-driven work and have the opportunity to help communities through a volunteer project.
- Connect with our network — Take part in fun social activities where you will bond with fellow interns and network with employees, including Chicago Fed senior management.
Who Are We Looking For?
We serve the public interest by fostering a strong economy and promoting financial stability. Don’t worry if you’re not an economics or finance major - we hire interns interested in a broad range of disciplines to support our other core functions and people-focused work. Positions range from marketing, human resources, public relations, information technology, project management, finance, economics and more.
Each internship posting lists its own specific job-related requirements. Overall, intern candidates at the Chicago Fed are self-starters who want to drive better outcomes, will raise their hand and ask questions when needed, and use good judgment in working with teammates across our organization. Additionally, we look for candidates with:
- Demonstrated leadership and teamwork abilities.
- Strong oral and written communication skills.
- An appreciation for diversity, inclusion and community.
- Knowledge of Microsoft Office products.
- The ability to work 40 hours per week throughout the duration of the paid internship.
Selection Process and Timeline
Recruiting for our summer internship program starts in the fall of the previous year. Internship positions are posted online on a rolling basis throughout October and November, and candidates are encouraged to apply to all openings that meet their qualifications. If selected to move forward in the process, a recruiter will contact qualified candidates to schedule an interview. All interns begin in early June. Interns are assigned to one department for the summer.
Please note our 2021 internships will be virtual.