News Release: Money Smart Week 2015 Kick-Off Includes U.S. Labor Secretary
Money Smart Week 2015 Kick-Off Events Wednesday Include U.S. Labor Secretary and Financial Education Panel Discussions
CHICAGO- (April 13, 2015) – The Federal Reserve Bank of Chicago and more than 600 partner organizations will kick off the 14th annual Chicago Money Smart Week with a breakfast event and financial summit starting at 7 a.m., Wednesday, April 15, at the Chicago Fed, 230 S. LaSalle St., Chicago, Ill. Money Smart Week runs from April 18-25.
The breakfast event will feature a panel discussion on how workplaces provide an environment where effective financial education can take place. The focus will be on different employers’ efforts and best practices to educate their staff about managing their personal finances, the importance of financial education for employees and how education initiatives can positively impact a company or organization.
The financial summit will follow the breakfast event. It is titled Improving Millennials' Financial Literacy with Mobile Technology and will feature:
- A keynote address by U.S. Secretary of Labor Thomas E. Perez.
- A panel of speakers from different countries discussing the unique financial literacy challenges “millennials” face.
- A panel discussion exploring how mobile technologies can promote financial literacy among young adults.
What: Money Smart Week Kick-Off Breakfast
Where: Federal Reserve Bank of Chicago
230 S LaSalle St
When: Wednesday, April 15
7:00 a.m. Registration and Breakfast
8:00 a.m. Money Smart Week Kick-Off Panel Discussion
- Carlo de Bassa Scheresberg, Senior Research Associate, Global Financial Literacy Excellence Center.
- Angela Berg, Partner, Mercer Global Consulting.
- Michael Conway, Vice President, The Ayco Company, L.P.
- Evren Esen, Director of Survey Programs, Society for Human Resources Management.
Award presentation: Money Smart Week Kid.
9:00 a.m. Financial Summit 2015 on Mobile Technology Resources to Improve Financial Literacy.
Welcome and Introduction
- Jason Alderman, Vice President of Global Financial Education, Visa, Inc.
- Thomas E. Perez, Secretary of Labor, United States (Keynote Speaker).
9:25 am. Panel: Identifying Unique Financial Literacy Challenges Millennials Face.
- Lucie Tedesco, Commissioner, Financial Consumer Agency of Canada (Moderator).
- The Honorable Steven Ciobo, Parliamentary Secretary to the Minister for Foreign Affairs, Parliamentary Secretary to the Minister for Trade and Investment, Australia.
- Georgette Jean-Louis, Executive Board Member, Banque de la Republique d’Haiti (Central Bank of Haiti).
- Amando M. Tetangco, Jr., Governor, Bangko Sentral ng Pilipinas (Central Bank of the Philipines).
10:40 am. Panel: Exploring How Mobile Technology Can Promote Millennials’ Financial Literacy.
- Nathaniel Sillin, Director of U.S. Financial Education, Visa Inc. (Moderator).
- Gerrit Lansing, CEO and Co-Founder, REVV.
- Jake Schwartz, CEO and Co-Founder, General Assembly, New York.
- Jason Young, CEO and Co-Founder, MindBlown Labs.
More information about the financial summit is available online.
Money Smart Week is designed to educate consumers about money management as well as generate awareness of financial education programs on topics such as saving, using credit wisely, and financial education for youths.
More than 500 free classes, seminars and activities will take place during Money Smart Week. The educational activities will be carried out by more than 600 local community groups, financial institutions, not-for profit organizations, businesses, schools, libraries, local and national government agencies and media personalities.
A calendar of events for this year’s Money Smart Week, along with additional updated information is now available at: www.moneysmartweek.org
To attend the breakfast, contact Laura LaBarbera at (312) 322-2387 or via email.